Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Gangsta Hipsta Rocksta Baldsta.

Yesterday was quite an interesting day at VJ - it was the day when approximately a hundred Victorians shaved their heads bald.

There were 3 girls among that number, so I heard.

It's not entirely surprising. After all, it's very true that girls value their hair a lot more, and have more reason to. Guys often cited 'preparation for the army and a reason to shave, in jest, yet it's true that the inevitability factored in the decision.

In fact, I was a tad surprised to know that any girl had even signed up in the first place, though the number ease it by a wide margin.

I guess that's what I have to understand about VJ - people genuinely care. My friend from KI, Wan Ting, told me forlornly that she'd wanted to shave, but her mother had threatened to disown her if she chopped her hair off.

That, was surprising. Wan Ting's a pretty girl who had nice hair, and though I never thought her vain or selfish in any way, I didn't think she would feel so strongly about the cause/feel so little for her hair that she would be so enthused about shaving it off.

Not that I don't think it's bad to not shave. I freely confess to being very unwilling to shave my head for a cause (though thinking back I remember telling Jack Neo I wouldn't mind doing it as an actress).

I didn't see the point. Sure, it was a pretty meaningful gesture, but I didn't think it would make any difference. There were no cancer patients in VJ, and I wondered how it would be truly effective.

I was so stupid.

It took two realisations for me to see it. One: My friend and classmate, Sean, was the only one from my class who dared shave his head. Before he did though, second thoughts were running wild in his brain. He voiced his regret and worry several times, yet he knew (and I, somewhat) that he wouldn't back out. I attempted to assure him by saying that he wouldn't look weird since there were so many people doing it, but he questioned 'what about when I go out in public?'

Two: It wasn't an event (unless you count an epiphany an event). It was merely a dawning of the fact that surrounded by the shavees in VJ, there was a tangible pressure for those who did not to shave. I began to feel ashamed of my hair and saw others the same way too. This environment was also created by the dozens of comments surrounding the shavees:

At the opening ceremony (of sorts)
'omg they're so brave(italicised)!'
In the hallways
'WHY YOU NOT SHAVE.'
*seeing fascinated girls touch the fuzzy heads of the shavees*

At this point in my post I shall insert a more negative realisation of sorts; of hypocrisy. I couldn't help but feel a flat of annoyance, increasing bit by little bit each time, whenever I witnessed some hairful girls adamantly demanding that some of the boys shave.

Of course, in retrospect, some of those girls could've wanted but couldn't shave. Like Wan Ting. Yet it can't be that all the girls were like Wan Ting. (obviously I am mathematically wrong, but hey, look at the probability).

My message to those girls: look at yourself before you look at others!

Although advising them to spend even more time in the looking-glass is probably not a good idea.

Update: Apparently there were 11 girls an a total of 164 shavees. With quite a number being walk-in, un-pre-registered.

No comments:

Post a Comment